Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm Thankful...

I don't want to be a holiday pooper....although, I'm REALLY NOT feeling this holiday season.  I've learned though, that no matter HOW bad things are in life---there is ALWAYS something to be grateful for. So here we go.

I'm thankful for...

1.  A will to live.  It may sound simple, but just a few months ago, I didn't have a will to live.  I didn't want to live.  I didn't feel as I had anything to live for.  I attempted suicide and I'm thankful that my attempt was a failed attempt.

2.  Second Chances.  My rock bottom became the foundation upon which I'm rebuilding my life.  A clean slate is what I needed.  My past is my past...I don't live there anymore.  Anyone unable or unwilling to let go of it as I have, unfortunately has to be left there by themselves.

3.  Progress.  I'm not where I want to be, but I thank God I'm not where I used to be.  Recovery is hard work, and I've been putting in MAJOR work...even when it's only baby steps at a time.  Just yesterday, I began making amends to those I've hurt.  While it was emotionally draining, it was also mentally fulfilling.  So many weights were lifted with only 4 out of 37 people contacted.

4. The ending of 2012.  I can emphatically say, this has been the WORST year of my life.  Anyone that knows me knows what I've lost;  My mind, some family, some friends, my dignity.  2013 is the year of restoration and I'm rolling into it FULL SPEED AHEAD!

5.  My Dog Skittles. Until recently, we haven't spent very much time alone together.  We're forced to be alone together now...and he has learned me, my moods.  When I'm my saddest, he hangs close and lavishes me with cuddles.  Can't ask for anything better than someone that loves me unconditionally, no matter what we've been through...even if it comes in the form of my dog!

6. My BPD twitter family.  Living with a mental illness is NOT easy.  YES, we can live "normal lives"(whatever that is).  Having a community of people that suffer from the same disorder that I do, that lifts me up and are able to relate to 99% of the emotions and issues that I go through is AWESOME. Having people that understand me and can relate to me has been my saving grace over the last few months.  God knows what we need....when we need it.

7. Lastly...I'm thankful that God IS.

Enjoy your day!  From Skittles & I..Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment