Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Back From The Edge"

"Back from the Edge" is a documentary on BPD done by the New York Presbyterian Hospital.

It's pretty lengthy (48 min long), and I'm sure only people REALLY interested in learning more about BPD and about those of us that live with it will actually watch it in it's entirety.  For those not interested in watching, I outlined a few points below, especially those relative to MY life living with BPD.  Enjoy!




"People with BPD experience emotions more intensely than others."

"People with BPD tend to be very dependent and clingy."

"You can't have interpersonal relationships if you're not emotionally stable."

"People thought I had everything together...they thought everything was perfect because that's how I appeared to the world"

"Felt like a Chameleon-there is a sense of not knowing who you are. I was being who other people wanted me to or expected me to be."

" I was becoming someone else so people would like me...therefore being a part of something.  I didn't know how to be."

"People with BPD often times conform to what they think other people want from them."

"People with BPD need other people to regulate them.  The relationships that they form often times breathe life into them"

"Absences or separations from the relationships that they form are catastrophic in their significance...like they don't exist themselves."

"People with Bordeline don't know they are being manipulative."

"Manipulation assumes a person has the skills to think and then execute a plan.  Manipulation in that sense can't be applied to people with BPD."

"I had physical aggression, NOT against anyone."

"As I began to feel more and more worthless as a person, I began to feel people would be better off without me."

"People with the disorder find great relief from being diagnosed."

"BPD is an imminently treatable disorder.  Patients can be helped...have a good chance to get better."

"BPD is a disorder of relations.  Recovery involves getting back into communities and having relationships, tolerating the stress and building a life for yourself again."

"People with this disorder get better!!!!"

For loved ones of someone living with BPD..."Participate in therapy.  Get to know what's going on and what to expect"

"Recovery is not a sprint, but a long distance race."

"...The will and desire to confront what's going on with yourself.  If you confront it, things will be so much better.  It takes faith and trust in the people around you to admit having something so stigmatized and then put yourself in their hands and say please help."





No comments:

Post a Comment